Congratulations! You’ve just purchased a home here in Westchester or Putnam, and now you can look forward to making it your own. As you settle in, it’s important to take note of the internal systems that operate to keep you comfortable living in it — like your HVAC, boiler, or water heater.
The average life span of an HVAC system and boiler is about 10-15 years; and for water heaters, about 6-13 years. That’s provided they were well maintained by the previous owners, which is something you often cannot easily verify. One of the quickest ways to age home systems prematurely is skipping maintenance. Your new home may have systems that aren’t functioning optimally due to normal wear and tear, or neglect, and that will cost you money on your monthly power bill.
Heating and cooling systems account for almost 50 percent of a household’s electricity bill – now that you’ve found a great home, it may be a good investment to replace old sub-par equipment.
- HVAC: An investment in a new HVAC system will often pay for itself in as little as 2-3 years because of the increased energy efficiency it offers, which translates into increased savings on your monthly bill. And with today’s smart technologies, HVAC systems are more energy efficient than ever, where you can automatically program temperatures that fit your family’s lifestyle.
- Maximum comfort: To really make your home an oasis during these hot summer days, consider replacing or adding central air to your new home if it doesn’t already have it. As detailed below, in addition to comfortable living, your indoor air will be cleaner, removing dust, lint, and even microscopic pollutants from the airflow.
- Air Quality: A very important function of HVAC is managing a home’s indoor air quality. Because today’s homes are built to be air-tight for energy efficiency, the air inside your home can be up to 5 times more polluted than outside air. Today’s HVAC systems offer add-ons like whole-home dehumidifiers, air purifiers, and air filters that capture minute particles in the air and destroy harmful vapors, molds, and germs. The result is a cleaner and healthier living environment.
- Water Heater: New energy-efficient water heaters cost less to run, leading to significant cost savings. Learn how to spot signs of trouble with the water heater in your new home. Contact Robison if you think your water heater may need to be replaced or serviced.
- Boiler: Furnaces generate heated air that brings indoor comfort – but it can be dry air. A boiler transfers hot water or steamed heat to make the air feel moister and more comfortable overall. Boilers don’t use fans or blowers, so they don’t forcibly blast dust, dirt, and allergens into the circulating indoor air. Learn more about how a new boiler may be a good option for your home.
Count On Robison to Make You Feel at Home — In Your New One
For over 100 years, we have earned a reputation as being the premier full-service home comfort company serving Westchester and Putnam, and the go-to source for installation, repair, and maintenance of systems that make your new house a home —including HVAC, central A/C, water heaters boilers and more. Visit us to learn more about equipment options and financing or call us at (914) 730-5287.