Bright Ideas for Saving Money on Your Summer Electric Bill
According to the U.S. Energy Department, the average American family spends over $1,400 every year on utilities – and higher in Westchester and Putnam counties.
If you’re like many area homeowners, you’re looking for ways to stem the rising expense tide. The professionals at Robison want to help with some things you can do — from simple to more sophisticated — to save money on those monthly electric bills.
KITCHEN & LAUNDRY
- Increase refrigerator temperature: Raising the temperature by a few degrees can save hundreds of dollars a year. The fresh food section only needs to be at 36-38 degrees F. Your freezer compartment should be set between zero and negative five degrees F.
- Run that dishwasher: Hand washing dishes uses over nine times the amount of water than a dishwasher does to clean an entire load. This means the dishwasher can save over 5,000 gallons of water a year, which means bigger savings on your energy bills. But run it fully-loaded at night, when the temperature is cooler.
- Use energy efficient appliances: If your home appliances are older than 10 years, they’re probably not energy efficient. A good idea is to upgrade your home appliances to Energy Star models that are more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.
- Light with LEDs. Switching from regular bulbs to LEDs is the best way to lower your electric bill. According to research, LED bulbs have significantly higher energy-saving capabilities than compact fluorescent, halogen, and incandescent bulbs. LED bulbs consume 25-80 percent less electricity than traditional bulbs.
- Wash clothes in cold water. The temperature in your washer does not matter when it comes to getting your clothes clean. Technological advances have made washing your clothes in cold water just as effective, if not more, than hot water.
HEATING & COOLING
- Keep your thermostat at a level temperature. Try decreasing your thermostat temperature during the warmer seasons, and increase it in the cooler seasons. A general rule is to turn your thermostat back about 7°-10°F from what you would normally set it at in that season for 8 hours a day. You may be able to reduce your energy usage enough to save upwards of 10 percent a year on heating and cooling.
- Schedule regular HVAC Maintenance. Your HVAC unit requires regular maintenance for peak performance. Otherwise, it will not run efficiently and your bills will be higher than average. Getting your system cleaned and inspected by a professional regularly will help ensure your system is running efficiently, and to troubleshoot any potential issues these potential issues before they become big problems.
- Consider Geothermal Power. Geothermal heating and cooling system is the most advanced and most efficient year-round heating and cooling system available and uses 25-50 percent less electricity than conventional heating or cooling systems. Learn whether a geothermal system is right for your home.
- Invest in Home Insulation: Properly installed Insulation is one of the best ways to save on energy costs. That’s because it will reduce the amount of energy lost through your home’s surfaces, such as the roof, walls, duct, and attic. Insulation ensures that your heating and cooling system doesn’t work twice as hard to keep your home at a comfortable temperature.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. A smart thermostat will help you seamlessly control your HVAC system remotely online on your tablet, mobile phone, computer, or iPad. The amount of money you save on electric bills by installing a smart thermostat will depend on your lifestyle and how effectively you control your heating. You can also program your thermostat to operate based on your schedule and heating needs.
Count on Robison to keep you plugged in — to savings on your electric bill
Lowering your monthly electricity bill will save you hundreds of dollars over time. Robison’s free home energy audit can help determine areas of your home where there is energy loss, and identify where power usage may be curbed to help you save. And as a New York Energy Services Company (ESCO), Robison provides electricity at a reliable fixed rate — so your monthly bill is what you expect it to be. Call us at 914-345-5700 or contact us to find out more.