Quick! What do crocuses, daffodils, and snowdrops all have in common? They’re among the very first flowers to make an appearance after a long winter, and signs of them are popping up everywhere in Westchester and Putnam Counties. Spring is not only a time for renewal — but for review of your home systems, to ensure they’re in good working order following the cold weather. Topping the list is your plumbing system.
Robison, the leading home comfort company serving Westchester and Putnam, is here to guide you, with a list of routine maintenance tasks you can perform on your home’s plumbing system. By addressing potential problems early, you can help your home be in good shape and start enjoying the warm weather:
- Water heater. The temperature setting should be no higher than 120°. Consider replacing your water heater if it’s 15 years or older.
- Hoses: Inspect the dishwasher and washing machine hoses for bulges, cracks, or discoloration. Replace them with steel hoses, if needed.
- Toilet: Check for leaks by adding several drops of food coloring to the tank water. If any color appears in the bowl after 30 minutes, then you may have found a leak that needs to be repaired.
- Showerhead: Tie a bag of vinegar around the showerhead, and soak it overnight to remove mineral deposits.
- Drains. Pour a gallon of water down infrequently used drains to fill the trap, and to prevent odors from drifting upwards.
- Slow leaks. Record the reading on your water meter before bedtime. Don’t use any water overnight. If the meter has recorded water use when you take its reading in the morning, it might be due to a large leak or several small leaks.
- Sump pump. Slowly pour about five gallons of water into its basin to make sure it’s working properly.
- Outdoor maintenance. Clear your downspouts, yard drains, and gutters of leaves and debris.
- Faucets and hoses. Check for leaks by noticing how much they drip the first time you turn them on. Excessive dripping may indicate that replacements are needed.
- Call Robison for all your plumbing needs. Whether you need a sewer line repair or a leaky faucet, no job is too big or too small for us! It pays to go with the trusted professionals at Robison – for 100 years, we’ve earned the reputation of being Westchester and Putnam Counties’ premier full-service home comfort company.
For more information on our plumbing services, contact us today for a consultation. And to help prepare for Spring, you can take advantage of our Spring Special:
Free Diagnostic – a $69 value – PLUS $75 Off any Plumbing Service $200 or more. Call for Details!