Your Home & Health
Are Mold and Mildew Hiding in Your Home?
The growth of mildew and molds, of which there are thousands of varieties, are a common problem in many homes. These microscopic organisms will collect in places where there is moisture, dirt and heat. Warm dark areas are a favorite hideout, especially in bathrooms, closets, basements and crawl spaces.
Once they settle in, these organisms begin “munching” away on all types of organic matter. If you have moisture or high humidity problems in your home, it’s a safe bet that you have mold and mildew growing somewhere.
Signs of a problem include musty odors in the home and splotches on your walls, furniture, bathroom tile or even clothes.
Here are a few things you can do before a major problem develops:
- Ask Air Check to inspect your ductwork for leaks. Joints often leak in hot attics, creating the perfect environment for mold.
- Provide good ventilation in and around the home. Air-to-air heat exchangers are especially recommended for tightly sealed homes. Fans installed in kitchens and bathrooms will vent moisture to the outside. Surface mildew on tiles can be removed by scrubbing the area with a 50/50 bleach and water solution.
- Make sure the condensation pan that’s under the coil off your central air conditioner is clean and make sure the drain is working.
- Stretch out your shower curtains after every shower to speed drying.
- Trim shrubbery that’s close to the foundation of your home to allow for at least one foot of air space.
- Make sure that your gutters and downspouts are clean and clear or all leaves and debris. Clogged gutters can cause many problems including wood rot, insect infestation, and mold growth.
- Use gutter extensions to divert water drainage away from the foundation of the home.
Contact us today if your house needs mold testing or an inspection service. Air Check, serving Elmsford, Greenburgh, Mount Pleasant, New Rochelle, White Plains, Yonkers and surrounding towns in Westchester and Putnam counties, NY.