Ensuring the Optimal Performance of Your Air Conditioning System
When your air conditioner stops working, starts making unusual noises, or has a leak, it’s time to call for professional AC service.
At Robison, we help you get the most out of your cooling system with top-quality AC repairs and maintenance in Westchester and Putnam County. Our highly trained customer service representatives and service technicians are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to solve problems quickly. Whether you need fast, reliable AC repairs or you simply want to schedule a routine maintenance service, you can rely on Robison to provide the highest level of quality and exceptional customer care, all at a fair and reasonable rate.
On This Page:
- Signs You Need Professional AC Repairs
- What to Expect During an AC Repair Service
- How Long Does an AC Repair Take?
- Why You Should Hire a Tech, Not DIY
- The Importance of Routine AC Maintenance
- How Often Should I Schedule AC Maintenance?
- How Robison Can Help You Enjoy a Cool, Comfortable Home
Some air conditioning problems are very obvious. If your AC won’t turn on, or if you’re not getting any cool air whatsoever, it’s time to call a professional HVAC repair technician. That being said, other AC issues can be harder to detect.
Some signs that you may need professional AC repairs include:
- An AC that won’t turn on or only blows warm air
- Very poor or no airflow
- Loud, unusual noises coming from the AC unit(s)
- Strange, unpleasant odors when AC is turned on
- Thermostat issues, including frequent or short cycling
- Excess indoor humidity
- Moisture, including pooled water, on or near the AC unit(s)
- Freon leaks
- An increase in your energy bill without extra usage
While many air conditioning problems can be solved with professional repairs from a trained and licensed technician, others cannot. When this is the case, we will recommend a complete system replacement. Our team can help you review your comfort needs and find the right solution for your home or commercial space.
We only provide our honest recommendations based on our professional findings, opinions, and expertise. As a family owned and operated business, we have built our name on integrity. You can trust that we will never try to upsell an unnecessary product or service. Instead, we will provide you with all the information you need to make the best decision for yourself and your family’s continued comfort.
When you call an AC repair technician from Robison to schedule a service, you can expect a professional and courteous response, first and foremost. Our intake professionals will ask for some basic information about your air conditioning system such as the make and model, age of the unit, and any issues it has been experiencing lately.
Once an appointment has been scheduled based on what is convenient for you, an AC repair technician will arrive at your home at the designated time. They will begin by inspecting your air conditioning system to confirm that the repair can be performed, or if it would make more financial sense to get a new system installed.
A quick check of the system will usually include checking:
- Refrigerant levels
- Electrical connections
- Fans and motors
Depending on what is found during the inspection, the technician may be able to perform repairs immediately or might need to locate certain parts of the system. They will explain any necessary repairs or replacements in detail and provide an estimate for the cost of these services before proceeding. We never try to slip surprise charges onto your bill.
During the service call, we encourage you to ask any questions that you may have about your air conditioning system or its maintenance. Our team will be happy to answer any questions you have and provide advice on how to keep your system running efficiently.
The length of time it takes for an air conditioning repair service can vary depending on the nature and severity of the problem. In some cases, a repair may be relatively quick and simple, while in other cases it may require more extensive work and take longer to complete. We always do our best to accurately predict how much time it will take to finish the AC repair that you scheduled.
For minor repairs such as cleaning or replacing filters, tightening loose connections, or replacing a capacitor or fan motor, the repair service can typically be completed within an hour or two. More complex repairs such as fixing refrigerant leaks, repairing electrical components, or replacing major parts of the system such as the compressor or condenser coil can take several hours to complete. In some cases, if a replacement part needs to be ordered that is not readily available, it may take several days for the necessary part to arrive before the repair can be completed.
You should not try to repair an AC system yourself because it is:
- Dangerous: Attempting to repair an air conditioning unit without proper knowledge or experience can be dangerous. AC units contain electrical components that can be hazardous if mishandled, and refrigerants can also be harmful if not handled properly. Professional technicians have the necessary training and safety equipment to handle these components safely and effectively.
- Expensive: A DIY repair on your AC unit can actually end up costing you more money in the long run. If you don't properly diagnose the root cause of the problem, you may end up making incorrect repairs or replacing parts unnecessarily, which can add up quickly in terms of both time and expense.
- Stressful: Hiring a professional technician for your AC repairs can provide peace of mind knowing that the job has been done correctly. Plus, it will save you time and energy, which will help keep your stress levels lower than if you tried to DIY.
Although many people do not realize it, regular heating and air conditioning maintenance is incredibly important. Just like with a car, regular tune-ups can help improve performance, allow an expert to address minor issues, and increase the lifespan of your system.
Routine AC maintenance is also one of the best ways to avoid various problems that may require emergency repairs. Most experts agree that you should schedule at least one annual tune-up, ideally just before the hottest months of the year.
Some of the many benefits of regular AC maintenance include:
- Enhanced Comfort: A pre-season tune-up allows your AC technician to ensure your system is working at optimal performance. It also gives them the opportunity to diagnose any issues with your AC and conduct minor repairs as needed. This helps ensure that you stay comfortable and cool all summer long, without the need for emergency AC repairs.
- Reduced Repairs: With regular AC maintenance, you are far more likely to experience fewer issues with your system and a reduced need for AC repairs. This ultimately saves you considerable time and money—not to mention the hassle of having to call for repairs at what inevitably always seems to be the most inconvenient of times.
- Improved Air Quality: Over time and with frequent use, your AC system begins to collect dirt, dust, debris, allergens, and other harmful particles. When you run your AC, these particles are moved throughout your home, leading to poor indoor air quality. With regular maintenance, your AC technician will clean the system and remove unwanted, potentially harmful particles.
- Increased Energy Efficiency: During a routine AC maintenance service, our technicians will carefully inspect and clean the various parts of your AC system, including the cooling coils, cleaning blades, and other components. This boosts performance and efficiency, meaning your system will work better with less effort.
- Decreased Costs: Regular AC maintenance saves you money in multiple ways. Not only does it save you the cost of frequent repairs, but it also helps you cut down on your energy usage. This allows you to save money every month on your utility bills. Regular maintenance also increases the lifespan of your AC, meaning you’ll save money by not having to replace your AC for longer.
- Longer System Lifespan: A clean, efficient cooling system doesn’t have to work as hard to effectively cool your home. As a result, regular maintenance helps cut down on routine wear-and-tear, which can significantly increase the overall longevity and lifespan of your air conditioning system.
At Robison, we offer several service plans to make scheduling routine HVAC maintenance easier and more affordable than ever. Members receive an annual tune-up and inspection, as well as discounts on repairs, services, and diagnostic fees.
The required frequency of air conditioning maintenance services will depend on several factors including the age of the unit, how frequently it is used, and environmental conditions such as humidity levels and exposure to dust or other debris. We recommend that you have your air conditioning unit serviced at least once per year. If your system is older or someone in your home is sensitive to heat or airborne contaminants, then two or more maintenance services would be recommended instead.
Some steps you can take to maintain your AC unit between service calls include:
- Regularly changing or cleaning air filters.
- Keeping outdoor units clear of debris and vegetation.
- Ensuring proper airflow around both indoor and outdoor components.
By taking these steps to maintain your air conditioning unit regularly, you can help it run more efficiently and effectively throughout its lifespan while minimizing the risk of unexpected breakdowns or costly repairs down the line.
For over 100 years, we have been the trusted name in heating and cooling throughout Westchester and Putnam Counties. Our AC repair and maintenance experts can quickly and accurately diagnose any issue with your air conditioning system. We provide fast, reliable repairs when you need them most.
We also offer comprehensive AC inspections and tune-ups to help ensure your system is working properly and at peak efficiency. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your home comfort systems all year long.